Sunday, March 21, 2010

Oh Calcutta!

No this is not the shout of despair in seeing the crumbling infrastructure of the city… it is a expression of jubilation when I went to the restaurant named "Oh Calcutta" in Bangalore… this restaurant is operated by Anjan (the same guy behind Mainland China) and I believe have an outlet in all major cities of India… Its an upmarket restaurant and if you enter this place be prepared to burn a decent big hole in your pocket. Here is my review of this place :-


1. Ambience - (3 out of 5 stars) I thought they could have worked a bit more in this department. Though I like subtlety decorated places I found this a bit too plain.. c'mon you are charging a fortune atleast put in some decent amount of wall - hangings and posters of the city for the people to get a feel of Calcutta


2. Service - (4 out of 5 stars) the place has knowledgeable waiters who can guide all non-bengalis through the maze of tongue twisting bengali dishes and will suggest you something good depending upon your interest.


3. Food - (5 out of 5) if possible I would have given it a 10 out of 5 stars. the food is absolutely delightful… I for once have NEVER had yummier bengali food outside of my home in my life to date. Right from the starters to their in-house drink (Aam Panna) and to the Entre's it was a delight… a word of caution though - I am not sure how much it is going to appeal non-bengalis and specially vegetarian non-bengalis. We for one did not order even one dish which was vegetarian so am not sure how is their veggie dept. For the rest some of the fish dishes (esp. Hilsa) may not appeal to non-bongs as they are a pain in the butt to eat but as every bong worth his salt will swear these fishes are a class apart in taste.


Will I suggest this restaurant to anyone? Depends… For one you need to have money in your pocket and for two you should be ready and open to experiment with authentic bengali food… if you have never eaten beyond your home and McDonalds, Pizza Hut and Subway are your idea of outside food, then this place is not for you!!!!


As for me…. I happily burped away into the night echoing Oh Calcutta Oh Oh Calcutta!!!!


P.S. I was right.. its rated as one of the top 5 restaurants in India



No comments: